There are many ways to clean your home without using harsh, chemical-based cleaning supplies. Some of the most effective natural cleaners can be found right in your pantry, and one of the most popular options out there is tea tree oil. This plant-based cleaner has been used for thousands of years in traditional remedies and can help you keep your home clean in a safe and eco-friendly way that even kids can use with ease! Here’s how to use it to clean nearly anything around your house!
What Is Tea Tree Oil?
Tea tree oil, or melaleuca oil, is a non-toxic essential oil that can be used as a powerful natural cleaner. Tea tree oil comes from an Australian plant, but it’s also grown in Asia and South America. It’s most commonly used to treat medical issues including cold sores, warts, and toothaches. Tea tree oil contains terpinen-4-ol, which is what gives it its unique antibacterial properties. In fact, tea tree oil has been shown to kill not only bacteria but viruses, too! Additionally, tea tree oil doesn’t just fight bacteria—it also works against fungal infections such as ringworm and athlete’s foot. In short, tea tree oil makes a great multi-purpose cleaning agent for your home.
8 Ways to Use Tea Tree Oil for Cleaning
Tea tree oil is a natural cleaner and disinfectant. Many people turn to chemicals for these purposes, but that’s not an eco-friendly option. Tea tree oil can replace harsh cleaning products with something that’s healthier, cheaper, and just as effective. Here are 8 ways to use tea tree oil for cleaning your home.
- Kill germs on countertops and kitchen appliances. In a glass spray bottle, combine 2 cups of water with about 10 drops of tea tree oil. Shake well before each use. Spray over your sink and stove; wipe clean immediately after. You can also use it to sanitize knives and cutting boards. This mixture will last for a month if stored in a cool, dark place like your pantry or laundry room cabinet. To refresh it, add more water and tea tree oil at the time of use.
- Neutralize odors in trash cans and diaper pails. Place a few drops of tea tree oil on a tissue or cotton ball, place inside your garbage container, and then cover with its lid. You can also add it to your home’s deodorizer balls to help neutralize smells for up to 6 months at a time.
- Remove pet hair from furniture and clothes with no residue left behind. If you have a dog or cat, then you know how difficult it can be to remove pet hair from fabrics. Put a few drops of tea tree oil in a glass spray bottle filled with water, shake well, then spritz over your couch or favorite chair and rub gently with a cloth. You won’t see any oils or cleaning agents on your fabric when you’re done; just clean fresh-smelling cushions that are free of hairs!
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil to your hand soap to increase its antibacterial properties and boost the smell.
- Clean your bathroom naturally without having to buy expensive chemicals every time you run out. Fill a spray bottle with 2 cups of water, 2 tbsp of vinegar, and 10 drops of tea tree oil, then shake well before each use. Spritz over toilet bowls, sinks, and tubs, then wipe clean with a dry cloth or paper towel.
- Deodorize the air in your home using tea tree oil. Add a few drops of tea tree oil to a diffuser and place it in a spot that needs the most deodorizing.
- Remove mold without toxic chemicals by mixing equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle, then adding 2 tsp of lemon juice plus 10-15 drops of tea tree oil before shaking well. Spray over moldy areas, then scrub lightly with an old toothbrush or similar cleaning tool before rinsing off completely afterward.
- Remove grime from your flooring. Mix 10 drops of tea tree oil with 2 cups of water in a spray bottle, then use an old toothbrush to scrub it into any spots. Afterward, mop as normal.
How to Choose A Good Quality Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has a number of health benefits but can be ineffective if it is poor quality or diluted. Before using tea tree oil for any purpose, read about how to choose a good quality tea tree oil. When you are looking for a tea tree oil product, look out for these things before you buy:
- Look At What Is In It – Make sure your product contains nothing other than 100% pure tea tree oil; there should be no additional ingredients like alcohols or fillers used in it.
- Look At The Packaging – Choose products that come in airtight bottles with labels containing all relevant information such as ingredient listing and storage instructions.
- Where Is It From? – Products that are produced locally usually have a better quality than those that are imported, so check where your product is from. If it isn’t from Australia or New Zealand, make sure you don’t get ripped off by purchasing a low-quality tea tree oil product.
How to Store Your Tea Tree Oil
If you’re using tea tree oil for eco-friendly cleaning, there are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to storing it. Tea tree oil is highly concentrated, so make sure to store yours in a place where it won’t be exposed to high temperatures or direct sunlight. This will help prevent oxidation, which can lead to spoilage.
You should also consider putting your bottle of tea tree oil in a dark-colored glass container with an airtight lid to increase the longevity and potency of your tea tree oil.
Hire an Eco-Friendly Professional Cleaning Service
If you’re struggling to find time to clean your home, don’t want to put harsh chemicals into your home’s environment, or want to make a difference in cleaning practices, hire an eco-friendly professional cleaning service. Sparkling Clean uses eco-friendly products that are healthier for both people, animals, and the environment.
You can have peace of mind that the cleaning products used in your home are safe for your family and for the environment with Sparkling Clean’s residential cleaning services. And not only are the cleaning products that Sparkling Clean uses eco-friendly, but they are also effective at getting your home sparkling clean!
Call today at (415) 742-4869 or visit www.sparklingcleanpro.com to learn more about the residential cleaning services that Sparkling Clean offers. Sparkling Clean serves the San Francisco area, including San Mateo, Palo Alto, San Rafael, Redwood City, Burlingame, and more.